Grease fires and what you need to know!
So, you’ve began to warm up the grease to fry some mouth watering French fries and all of a sudden the phone rings. The grease on the stove starts to overheat and smoke, and before you know it, the fryer catches on fire. What you do next to put out the grease fire is very important, so keep these tips in mind.
- Turn the heat off, but don’t move the container of grease.
- Don't pour water on a grease fire. Water could cause the grease to splash on other kitchen surfaces and possibly spread the flames.
- Put a lid on it. Covering the container will hopefully smother the fire.
- Call 911, if the fire has gotten out of control and get out of the building.
- Dont use flour on a grease fire. Sometimes using baking soda can put out a SMALL grease fire, but flour should never be used.
- Fire extinguisher should be the last resort, due to the risk of contaminating your kitchen.