Are you hurricane ready?
Are you prepared in case a hurricane hits the Lenoir, Duplin and Jones County Area. SERVPRO of Lenoir, Duplin and Jones Counties hopes everyone is prepared, but in case you're not here are 8 tips to make sure you are ready.
- Water. Be sure to buy enough bottled water to last your family several days. Each person normally needs at least a half-gallon per day.
- Food. Store at least 3-5 days of non-perishable food such as peanut butter, tuna, canned beans, cereals, protein bars, dried fruits, etc.
- Medications. Make sure you and other family members have your prescription medications on hand because the pharmacies may be out of stock for a couple of weeks after a storm.
- Cooler. If the electricity does go out, be sure to keep a cooler on hand to make sure your food and medications are kept cold until the power returns.
- Gasoline. Make sure at least one of your vehicles is filled with gas a day or 2 before the approaching storm is due to hit. Also, don't forget to fill your gas cans for your generator.
- Flashlights, Batteries & Weather Radio. If your electricity does go out, make sure you have a flashlight for each person. Store enough batteries to power your necessities for at least 3 days. Also, a weather radio can prove to be a very valuable item that every family should have no mater where you live.
- Disposable Items. Try to make sure you have things like paper plates, plastic utensils, diapers, paper towels and toilet paper, garbage bags, etc.
8. Comfort Items. To pass the time, make sure to have reading material, a deck of cards, board games, etc. Also, keep your kids comfort items close by. It's nice to have something to keep them busy and calm.
These are probably the most important tips to apply when preparing for a hurricane. We, here at SERVPRO of Lenoir, Duplin, and Jones Counties, hope none of this is ever needed. This is information that will prove very useful if a hurricane should hit our area.